Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Ian MacKaye Lives!

Posted on my Myspace bulletin board today:
>>
Ian Mackaye, lead singer of influential hardcore band Minor Threat as well as Fugazi passed away today in a Baltimore hospital room. Outside a Fugazi show in New Jersey last night, the singer was struck by a car passing by the front of the Ventura Theatre. Brunswick police say that the driver allegedly stopped, but then fled the scene. There is now a police investigation underway.

Mackeye was rushed to St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, where he was pronounced dead this morning at 6am. This is a tragedy for the underground music as a whole and we need to stand together at this time of loss.<<

The 45-second period after I read this was a nightmarish emotional roller coaster, until I remembered that Google News exists. He still walks among us.
Like many East Coast suburban misfits, my friends and I were all huge Fugazi fans in high school. If I had a nickel for every terrible "Waiting Room" cover I heard at a Tune Inn show/VFW hall/backyard party, I would easily have fifty cents. When I lost my virginity, it was to the dulcet tones of Minor Threat. No disrespect to Guy Picciotto, but I can really take or leave his Fugazi vocals even when I love the songs. Ian's voice is pure
skate-park white boy masculine aggression, and this— coupled with his always in the right self-righteous lyrics and political engagement— makes him my favorite white guy singer of all time. Today's scare just reminded me of his pure hotttness.

Minor Threat - Look Back and Laugh

Fugazi - Bad Mouth

I've recently rediscovered "The Argument" and it's back on heavy rotation at work. This song is one of my favorites because Ian could still scream his fucking head off at 40 and it sounds awesome.
Fugazi - Epic Problem

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have recently discovered while foraging through years genealogical data I found under the barcodes on the back of my mother's lean cuisine boxes that I have 2 recessive genes that make me prone to douchebaggery. Of course The Heather Hanson has the dominant genes which in theory makes me a minion of sort.