Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Funtime: Five Classic Dancehall Gems, Plus One

I dug in the (CD) crates for this one. Picking one Beenie Man song was too hard, you're getting two.
Beenie Man - Who Am I
Red Rat - Tight Up Skirt
I'm a sucker for Red Rat's borderline-irritating voice and trademark "ohhhhh nooooo"s. I almost posted "Big Man Little Yute" since I love how he sounds there sparring with the way deeper voiced Goofy, but we're doing classics today.
Beenie Man - Let Him Go
Murder She Wrote - Chaka Demus and Pliers
This song reminds me of a girl I used to know; I have a memory of driving with her while she sang along and me thinking about how she herself had a pretty face and bad charactah, as Chaka says.
Bounty Killa - Living Dangerously
Sister Nancy - Bam Bam
By far my favorite version of this standard. The barebones dubby production and the way her voice goes nearly off-key singing "This woman" gets me every time.

No comments: