Monday, May 5, 2008

Flora / Fauna

My third-to-last weekend in New York was perfection. It reminded me of that quote from Velvet Goldmine, "It's funny how beautiful people look when they're walking out the door." In this case I'm the one walking out the door, but you know what I mean. At night I disco-danced like no one's watching, and in the sleepy-stoned day I walked around in the sun listening to Montreal's Plants and Animals.

If I had to make up a genre to describe Plants and Animals it would be The New Sincerity. Or maybe Nalgene Rock? They invite comparisons to Arcade Fire and to a lesser degree, Annuals and Animal Collective. Their lush orchestration wins me over despite the fact that I usually wouldn't like a band with a song called "Faerie Dance," just on general principle. But their pretty, optimistic springtime sound is exactly what I need a-right a-now.

Plants and Animals - Bye, Bye, Bye (alt link)

Plants and Animals - New Kind of Love (alt link)

myspace buy

No comments: