Monday, November 3, 2008

I Wish it Was Tomorrow Night Already.


When I was in Austin the weekend before last, I heard an album I liked in a store so much that I bought it as soon as I came home. For real, I'd heard almost the entire album in that store, as my best friend was Born to Shop. Paul Duncan is from the south - born in Texas - but lives in Brooklyn as his handsome scruffiness commands him. In the dead of last winter I suddenly started liking Bonnie Prince Billy, and this appeals to me along the same lines.
From 2007's "Above the Trees":

Paul Duncan - The Fire (div share)

Paul Duncan - High in the Morning (div share)

On a wildly different note, I went to the Empty Bottle on Halloween and saw a band called Detholz! ("death holes"). A phenomenon here in Chicago, Jeff Tweedy has taken them on tour with Wilco a few times which is not surprising as they put on quite the show. For the most part they masterfully played very, very whaaat the fuuuck theatrical covers - Like a Virgin, We Built This City, Conga, The Gambler - although they apparently have their own material as well. They opened with the Karate Kid theme and it was amazing.

Detholtz! - FLEX/You're the Best Around (div share)

No comments: