Monday, June 23, 2008

I'm Hiding Out

Last Thursday I went to see Dawn Landes at The Hideout, which is my favorite in Chicago until further notice. I first visited last July to see Professor Murder play there after Pitchfork, and last week -- my fourth time there -- I finally figured out why I'm so obsessed: It looks like it could be in "Twin Peaks." A house in an otherwise completely industrial area, it feels kind of edge of the earth and inside it looks like a grange hall with white Christmas lights strung across the roof beams. If I saw a midget dancing and talking backwards in the middle of the floor I totally wouldn't even be that surprised.

Dawn Landes and her band sounded really good and they played this surprisingly charming cover of "Young Folks." Who knew I'd ever be able to enjoy this song again; I'm pretty sure it played on at least 10 of this season's TV shows and became lazy shorthand for 'hip and fun!' the way "Hey Ya" did in movie trailers a few years ago. The dude's baritone is what officially makes this version adorbs. I'm posting this because the show made me think of my roommate back in Brooklyn and all the times I'd come home to hear her playing guitar and singing in her room.

Dawn Landes - Young Folks
(alt link)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! I think I've heard it, it sounds familiar but I'll have to get her CD now! Thanks Sam - I miss our late night drunken meet ups at the apartment to discuss the evenings drama..