Wednesday, June 4, 2008

freestyle freestyle freestyle


Why do I enjoy freestyle so much? I was in junior high at the height of its popularity, and even then when I would hear it blasting out of cars in the parking lot of the Willow Grove Mall I knew it was terrible. I'd watch the dude slouched in the driver seat of his shitty car, one arm on the wheel, one arm on or around his acid-washed denim clad girlfriend windows rolled down so we could all appreciate the sweet sounds of Sweet Sensation and I did not for one second think this was sexy, classy, or cool. At night, though, I'd listen to Q102 even more than Power99 for some reason. In 1990 I was a fat seventh grader who would have had no place to hang out even if I had friends, so I was a captive audience and knew all the freestyle hits backwards and forwards. Did I ever actually like these songs? Do I like them now? Is it really just pure nostalgia at work, or a further example of my deep affinity for terrible dance records in general? Shit, I just can't tell. All I know is my friend Amanda shares my love, if that's what it is, and my second to last night in New York I found myself trying to sing her an Exposé song at 5:30 a.m., but my voice was gone 'cause it was 5:30 a.m. and we had no business being still awake. This one's for you Panda:

dance classics:
Debbie Deb - When I Hear Music (alt link)
It should be two words, "Look Out Weekend." Grammar error SEE ME AFTER CLASS Debbie Deb.

The Cover Girls - Show Me (alt link)

Stevie B - Spring Love (alt link)

Lil Suzy - Take Me in Your Arms (alt link)

slow jamz:
Timmy T - One More Try (alt link)

Stevie B - Because I Love You (alt link)
Oh wait, I definitely do love this song, I used to listen to it at work all the time which means I must really love it. I refuse to be ashamed!

2 comments:

Jenny Herbert said...

I can get down with some Show Me. Show me, show me you really love me!! If my memory serves me correctly, the scene where I would have heard that most would have been from some douchey guy blasting it in his tacky sports car in a muscle t at the trumbull mall. Yup, that's about right. Oh trumbull mall how I loved you!

Panda said...

Stevie B's "Wanna Be the One", is still aces in my book. Let's just put freestyle in the "so bad its good" category, along with the first season of Laguna Beach.