Monday, March 31, 2008

Cute Band Alert


Last night I went to see Evan Dando and the two guys currently rounding out The Lemonheads play "It's A Shame About Ray" in its entirety. I'd seen Slint, Sonic Youth, and GZA do "Spiderland," "Washing Machine," and "Liquid Swords" last summer but I was never obsessed with those albums so it was a little lost on me. "It's A Shame About Ray," on the other hand, pretty much defined me at fourteen and the show did not disappoint (as soon as I was able to get past the fact that this nostalgia tour reminded me of the "Veronica Mars" episode where Paul Rudd plays the washed-up 90s rocker). Evan's voice is still pure rolled gold, and I'm so relieved that the years of hard living didn't damage his pretty pretty face. Plus as my friend Molly noted, it was nice and a bit strange to be at a show where everyone was our age and older, not the opposite.
Watch baby Johnny Depp in the "It's a Shame About Ray" video here.
And rounding out this Sassy nostalgia-fest, Juliana Hatfield did NOT lose her virginity to Evan...she lost it to Spike Jonze!

The Lemonheads - Rudderless

The Lemonheads - Buddy

The Lemonheads - Bit Part

buy it!

No comments: