Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back to Grindin' Fer Papes

Winter break funtimes are over and it's back to work today. On one hand I'm depressed to return to the office and lose all of this time for loafing and alcohol abuse, but on the other I'm basically pickled from all the revelry and could probably use the structured environment again, frankly. Anyway here are ten songs I really liked this past year, in order of my discovering them.

Battles - Leyendecker
Battles' ex-jazz bandtastic technical proficiency has already gained them a bro-tingent of Phishhead type fans. I saw them twice this year and they were amazing both times, five stars, would do business with again, recommended.

DJ STV SLV - Drop the Icebox Pressure
(Mylo vs. Omarian) I heart the Hood Internet.

Sea Wolf - You're A Wolf
via KEXP podcast (subscribe)

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Everything I Cannot See
Lyrics by Jarvis Cocker, music by AirEWWWW Lemon Incest!!!

The Shivers - Half Invisible

Menomena - Wet and Rusting
Another good band I saw at Pitchfork, three beardos who each play a lot of instruments.

Pitbull feat. Trina - Go Girl
God, how to pick just one Pitbull song, he is the greatest guilty pleasure ever. Nope, I can't, here's another off "The Boatlift":
Pitbull feat. Lil Jon - The Anthem

Atmosphere - Sunshine

Sam Sparro - Black and Gold
(myspace)
Previously on GPB: Mmm, white chocolate.

Fergie - Clumsy Remix Feat. LMFAO (Redfoo)
How this got on Hot97 at 1 am on Christmas Eve I have no idea, but I'm so glad it did.

Riskay feat: Aviance & Real - Smell Yo Dick

My favorite song of 2007 and I find it on the very last day. A melodic treatise on matters of trust and infidelity.

Back to work.

No comments: