Sunday, August 19, 2007

Coupla weird dudes.



My first show was They Might Be Giants, at Toad's Place in 1992. While it has probably been a good ten years since I've listened to them, the Johns will always hold a special place in my heart. Partially for nostalgia's sake, but also because I really respect the fact that they've been together for decades and have parlayed their creativity into countless projects, never diluting their nerdtastic charm.
Don't Let's Start(from 1986's self-titled)
Whistling In the Dark (from 1990's Flood)
Space Suit (from 1992's Apollo 18)

By my junior year of high school, Dean and Gene were my new favorite two weird dudes. In the school of rock, if TMBG were Mathletes, Ween used to be Mathletes but they dropped out because it was cutting into their "smoking js and playing guitar in Tommy's dad's garage" time. They were just more my kind of people, you know?
From my favorite Weener, The Mollusk:
Mutilated Lips
The Blarney Stone
From Chocolate and Cheese:
Baby Bitch
Joppa Road

In the interest of doing a two-weird-dudes trifecta, I'm posting my favorite song by Sparks. A great deal of their very large body of work is so, so much more bizarre than this, but in a way that makes my pussy cringe. This song rulz though:
Angst In My Pants

No comments: