Sunday, July 29, 2007

Jerry Orbach Eyes

I look at this ad every morning on the 6 train, and the first time I saw it I thought about that Chinese horror movie "The Eye," where a blind girl gets an eye transplant and starts seeing creepy-ass ghosts everywhere like the eyes' former owner did. It made me laugh to imagine that happening to the two people who got Jerry's eyes, where they can see perfectly, but once in a while they get flashes of mundane shit like the "Law and Order" craft services table and Benjamin Bratt's face.

The Kooks - "See the World"
Depeche Mode - "World in My Eyes"

Related: The ad's ubiquity (and excellence) begat this inevitable, well-conceived, shaky-on-the-execution comedy skit.

1 comment:

redmenace said...

I canNOT wrap my head around the grammar in the second sentence of that ad. "Jerry Orbach was a gifted actor and his greatest role was that of an eye donor." NO. The implication of the "and" is that he was "acting" like an eye donor (that it was a "role" he was playing) but not actually donating his eyes. And that is not a funny ha-ha for the people who were expecting to get eyes, but instead have empty sockets, because after Orbach was finished acting like a donor, the director was all, "Cut!" and Orbach walked to his trailer with his eyeballs firmly in place. I believe the "and" should be a "but." Also, comma please.

I await your response to this matter.