Friday, October 30, 2009

Anything Can Happen on Halloween, Your Dog Could Turn Into a Cat



Halloween has always been my favorite because I love spookiness, the ramshackle quality of homemade costumes, candy, pumpkins, decorations, and most of all horror movies. My friend Swati and I used to watch them constantly when she lived in her studio on 2nd Avenue; we'd show each other the ones we were obsessed with as kids and look for new ones that made us get that fun-to-be-scared feeling again (with mixed results). Our top 10 favorites — and it should go without saying this means the original and never the remake:

The Evil Dead
The Last House on the Left
Motel Hell
The Stuff
The Watcher in the Woods
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Fright Night
The Gate
House of 1000 Corpses
Cabin Fever
Honorable mentions: Revenge of the Living Dead, Phantasm 1, 3, and 4

Splatter, basically. Giallo is cool but it's too arty and cold for my taste. Lurid 1980s era Tom Savini-style grossness is best. These days I never watch horror movies anymore because it's just no fun without the one girl who fully shared my obsession. When she finally visits Chicago we probably will just stay in and watch some skulls get stop-motion crushed.

My putting-on-my-costume playlist for tomorrow night:







(My buddy Collin gets disemboweled by a cult of scary girls in the video for this song. It's pretty badass.)

Happy Halloween!

No comments: