Wednesday, September 23, 2009

There's Been a Wonderful Mix-Up

One of several awesome things I have found about via @questlove's Twitter: Kutiman, a dude in Israel who makes songs by remixing other people's Youtube videos. This was inevitable, wasn't it? He's doing a really, really good job with it.




Questlove compares him to Jay Dilla but it reminds me more of the Emergency Broadcast Network (watch this video for my favorite song by them). Like any remix/mashup fan I am in love with the postmodern pastiche; I recognize all the references in a Girl Talk song and get excited by the great way they've been repurposed and I express my excitement by dancing. But Kutiman's take is more interesting than Girl Talk in a sense, since he's working with this deep well of completely obscure source material. Not obscure like Moby's obsession with the Alan Lomax recordings circa Play but like, some girl singing to her laptop camera in a basement obscure. I feel like Kutiman has really thrown down the gauntlet in terms of digging deep.



1 comment:

Jared said...

this is what is truly great about the internet. bravo to Kutiman. The main piece is very Amon Tobin-esque and both the audio and video have been masterfully edited. The reprise at the end starting around 4:37 is hauntingly beautiful.