Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sheeeeiiiit

So I finished the Wire Season 4 last night, and it was definitely my favorite despite being entirely Avon and Stringer-free. Everything the show sets out to do in terms of portraying the ailing city of Baltimore and its unwieldy infrastructure completely works this time around. The school system stuff, the mayoral race, and the drug war plots all interwove seamlessly. Amazing. Now I just have to wait 18 years until the final season comes out on DVD and hope certain friends of mine can finally grasp the fact that I don't like it when they tell me about major happenings/deaths on episodes I haven't seen yet. Sshh!

I've been listening to "Roc Boys" a lot at work lately and I watched the video the other day, which costars 'big paws on a puppy' Michael. This made me curious about how many other hip-hop videos Wire cast members have been in and it turns out someone did a roundup a few years ago (the answer is many, many videos and this list isn't even current). Also looked up the dude who plays Slim Charles, wondering if he's a rapper because his voice is such gravelly goodness. Not only is he a disc jockey in DC, he's a singer in a go-go band! DC go-go is something I'd never heard until I visited a DC native I was dating in college, and one of the few musical genres in which every song sounds exactly, exactly the same to me. Except for this one, obviously:

E.U. - Da Butt (2008 mix)

Watch the "Roc Boys" video here.

No comments: