Friday, May 28, 2010

The Bass Drum Jungle Music

This archive of jungle mixes from 1995-1998 is taking me back to the days of Konkrete Jungle parties at Coney Island High and buying tapes from vendors at the flea market next to Tower Records on Broadway. One of my favorites opened with a jungle version of "Born to Roll" that I wish I had on mp3.

I completely lost interest in drum and bass when it started taking the turn toward Roni Size and LTJ Bukem's whole jazz-inflected armchair jungle thing. Box of yawns, if I want "intelligent" I can read a book. The Mickey Finn/Navigator mix is my favorite because it captures the exact sound of what I heard the first time I ever came across jungle. One reason I know I need to do some serious traveling abroad is that I can't remember a time in the last 10 years where I've been as blindsided and enthralled by something completely new to me, not like the way I was when I wandered into a room at a rave in New Haven at 16 and saw people dancing to this super-fast music that I had absolutely zero prior context for. I still get fascinated, entertained, amused, etc. but that "mindhole: blown" feeling is something I still want and can't quite find now that I often feel like I've seen and done everything. This reminds me why I keep chasing it and that I probably just need to look in different places.

No comments: